Sunday, November 28, 2010

See Jenni....See Jenni Run!

So the past few months I have had this growing interest in running. Actually it has become more of an obsession. I don't want to mislead you in any way, I'm not the best runner. Actually I can just barely run, but I have this desire to get fit and I want to do it through running. Last weekend I ran a race called Warrior Dash with my friends from church and it was a blast! I have never had so much fun! It is a 3 mile course with 11 or so obstacles along the way. The obstacles are things like climbing over cars, walking the plank, climbing up the side of a steep hill, jumping over fire and.....
Climbing under barbed wire in the mud..


Not only was it fun but I thought it was the funniest thing in the whole world. I laughed the whole time. At the end of the race this is what our group looked like

This race really motivated me to really start taking running seriously. The first thing I needed to do was buy a really good pair of running shoes. So I decided to go to Luke's Locker and get fit tested. When I was there the person had me walk barefoot up and down this aisle and he examined my gait or how I walk. He checked to see if my feet were pronating inward or if I was walking on the outsides of my feet. After having me walk back and forth he had a good idea of what I needed. He had me try on four or five different types of shoes and walk up and down the "cat walk" and even had me jog a little on the treadmill. After switching between shoes several times and taking a lot of consideration to my feet I choose...
Product Image

The Asics Cumulus 12. They were the most comfortable and provided my feet with a great amount of support. They were super light weight and offered enough shock absorbency that my knees felt really good while running.

So, to keep me motivated, my roommate is running with me and we have made small goals for ourselves. When we lose a certain amount of weight we will treat ourselves to things. Our first goal is to lose 10lbs and when we do we will treat ourselves to a nice pedicure. The next is 20 lbs and another treat and the treats increase as we lose more weight. It's a pretty motivating thing because we can't treat ourselves until BOTH of us have reached the goal. This will definitely keep both of us moving!
Some upcoming races I want to sign up for is a New Year's Eve/Day 5k race called Resolution Run. It raises money and awareness for Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD). My roommates and I did it last year and it was a blast. I just hope this year I can finish without walking! I also will sign up for the next Warrior Dash March 19, 2011 in Conroe. So I have quite a few things to keep me motivated. I hope you blog readers out there will come along with me on my journey and even give tips on technique, nutrition, races, etc. Any support would be greatly appreciated!
LET'S RUN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment